Rise Up to Academics Athletics Arts Christ
WMC has had the top SAT composite score in our county for the past 6 years. In fact, our SAT composite for the 2020-21 school year was the highest in Muskegon County once again at 1106. During these past 6 years we have really been focusing on curriculum development through our late starts and through our K-12 alignment, and the progress that we’ve made is now showing in our test scores. A huge thank you goes out to our teachers who work tirelessly to ensure that each and every student in our building is being educated with excellence.
WMC is a 7 – 12 Model:
- At WMC we serve grades seven through twelve.
- Research and feedback indicates grade 7 and 8 students actually act in a more mature and responsible manner.
- Our High School is student-centered with excellent Safe Schools, Small Group Spiritual Development, and other programs that support social, emotional, spiritual and academic needs and we have not seen any issues with grades 7-12 in one building.
- The 7-12 model provides access for grade 7 and 8 students to specialized programs in art, music, science, technology and other specialty areas and there are reach-ahead opportunities for grade 7and 8 students.
- There are some discrete spaces for each group of students such as classrooms, washrooms, halls/wings/floors of the building and we have some differentiated timetables for start times, lunch hours, gymnasium times, and chapel times. We also have shared spaces for students including the cafeteria, library, art room, media center, hallways and gymnasiums.
- Our 7th and 8th grade students have greater access to guidance, and our Educational Support Services“ initiatives that are directed at grade 7-12 to meet the needs of students.
- Our High School students are positive role models, mentors, and tutors. We provide increased Community Service hours for high school students to support younger students.
- More opportunities exist for cross-age activities such as tutoring and older role model programs in schools with a broad span of grades levels. Our 7-12 configuration allows for more collaboration among teachers across grade levels and better alignment of curriculum across grades.
- Researchers believe that making a change in the 7th grade gives students more time to acclimate to new surroundings before credit accumulation begins.
- We offer joint activities such as multiple All-School Chapels, Spirit Week activities, and All-School Service Projects.
Western Michigan Christian offers grades 7 through 12. WMC is the destination High School for about ten Christian schools in the Lakeshore region.
Western Michigan Christian High School’s mission is to educate with excellence, integrate faith with knowledge, and equip students to work and serve Christ in their communities. WMC is a college-preperatory high school.
WMC is governed by a 15-member board and Pastor Samuel Greer began his term as Interim Principal in June 2017.
The current makeup of our school is a result of an intentional focus on reaching out and building community. In fact, each of the past seven years we have seen an increase in enrollment, currently 325, grades 7-12.
Evidence of ‘All God’s People’ at WMC includes:
- A Freshmen Bible class that has a Buddhist student from China, including students from Spain, Korea and Brazil.
- WMC has students who belong to the Catholic, Lutheran and Baptist churches.
- A Senior service project in which international students from Korea led a children’s camp with Korean songs, games, and food.
- A chapel service led by an American professional baseball player, who is a Christian playing in Korea, who shared his testimony with our student body.
Our Unique Learning Environment
Western Michigan Christian High School’s mission is to educate with excellence, integrate faith with knowledge, and equip students to work and serve Christ in their communities.
WMC is Culturally Diverse:
Located in Norton Shores, WMC is truly a school comprised of all God’s people from six countries, 36 local and international cities and 95 churches.
As a World Class School, WMC annually hosts students from several countries around the world including Brazil, China, Korea, Norway, South Africa, Spain, Thailand and Vietnam. Through the years this has enabled WMC to share Christ and culture across the Globe while offering our students the opportunity to enjoy a culturally diverse student body.
In keeping with the purpose of our mission statement, we are committed to integrating Christian beliefs, values, and morals into all subjects and school activities. We believe that the area of athletics must reflect our efforts to serve Christ. The testing of abilities and talents, the strengthening of body and character, and the building of Christian life and conduct are goals that athletic participation can help to achieve.
The athletic program of Western Michigan Christian exists as a vehicle for practicing the values of self-discipline, hard work, goal setting, character strength, honesty, teamwork, and respect. We strive for Athletic Excellence while working to honor God in all that we do.
The now Class C school presently offers a wide variety of sports to participate in. In recent years, WMC has fielded nearly 30 teams representing 17 sports. WMC is a member of the Lakes 8 Conference with Muskegon Catholic Central, Muskegon Heights, Muskegon Orchard View, Ludington, and Manistee.
FinalForms Athletic Registration
All Warrior student-athletes (Middle and High School) are required to be registered in our online athletic registration program.
We are very excited to announce that the Western Michigan Christian High School & Middle School Athletic Department has partnered with FinalForms, an online forms and data management service. FinalForms allows you to complete and sign athletic participation forms for your students online. The most exciting news is that FinalForms saves data from season-to-season and year-to-year, meaning that you will never need to enter the same information twice! You will review your information once per school year to verify information is current and sign the forms.
To register your student-athlete, please go to: https://wmchristian-mi.finalforms.com/
A couple of hints:
- Bookmark this site or save it to your desktop on your mobile device or computer (do not Google search for it in the future as you will not go directly to the WMC site).
- Have required information available, such as medical history/health information, insurance company policy numbers, doctor, dentist and hospital information. This will make the registration time more efficient to complete.
- Parents will need to fill in your student’s email address. FinalForms requires that the student’s @wmchs.net email address be used. Obtain this from your son/daughter — it is their email@example.com. Your student will then need to check their email for information on how to complete their portion of the registration.
- Attached is the ParentPlaybook WMC to help you with the online registration process. Please note once you register, you will receive an email to confirm your account, create a password, and then complete the required forms.
Thank you for your assistance and support in streamlining our paperwork processes for WMC Athletics. If you have any questions, please feel free to contact us in the athletic department:
Athletic Director – Kurt Gruppen: firstname.lastname@example.org or
Athletics Admin-Assistant – Abbie Kooima: email@example.com
Middle School Sports
High School Sports
FALL WINTER SPRING
SCHEDULES / COMMUNICATION / PHOTOS
Please register on WMC Warriors.com and sign up for updates and alerts so the WMC Athletic department can keep you informed about schedule changes/updates with either SMS texts or emails.
WMC SPORTS SOCIAL MEDIA LINKS:
“WMC SPORTS UPDATE” E-NEWSLETTER:
Our Athletic Department publishes an e-newsletter with in-depth coverage on all WMC Varsity sports. To receive the daily WMC Sports Update via email CLICK HERE.
New sports photos are being added all the time to the WMCWarriors.com website! Please feel free to collaborate and add your photos too by CLICKING HERE.
(if not at the E. Ellis campus)
The Western Michigan Christian family has made offering first-class training in the arts (performing and graphic) a top priority. WMC boasts three quality bands, a top-notch choral program and drama team, and an inspirational art curriculum. The school hosts many performances and galleries to showcase the talented students and staff who bring glory to God through their crafts.
Music at Western Michigan Christian
When words fail, music speaks. God’s gift of music-ing (Eugene Corporan) is one of the most mysterious of all His blessings. He bestows this gift on each of us to varying degrees. It should never be forced but rather cultivated. It is our prayer to do just that amid the garden that is Western Michigan Christian High School. It is our aim to provide the tools for kids to express themselves musically.
Additionally, it is our vision that students leave with a good understanding of “We Not Me.” Performing music with others is a beautiful reminder of service to each other and the impact that we have individually on the welfare of the whole. Fully understanding the power that we each possess to shape the outcome is a direct parallel to the teachings of Christ and will impact all aspects of our students’ lives.
Music students at WMC will experience a wide variety of both sacred and secular genre. It is important that students exit our program well equipped to handle the rigors of a college music department. This includes exposure to standard large and small ensemble repertoire as well as solo literature suitable to the student’s experience level. We will accomplish these goals through a variety of local performance venues such as Warrior Weekend; the Christmas Collage Concert; church performances; Solo and Ensemble Festival and Band and Choir Festivals sponsored by the Michigan School Band and Orchestra Association and the Michigan School Vocal Music Association. Our students will also experience National level competition through participating in a National Music Festival twice during their high school career.
Theatre at WMC
In keeping with the purpose of our mission statement, we are committed to integrating Christian beliefs, values, and morals into all subjects and school activities. We believe that the area of theatre must reflect our efforts to serve Christ. The testing of abilities and talents, the strengthening of character, and the building of Christian life and conduct are goals that theatre participation can help to achieve.
The theatre program of Western Michigan Christian High School exists as a vehicle for practicing the values of self-discipline, hard work, goal setting, character strength, honesty, teamwork, and respect. We intend to honor God in all that we do.
Each year we produce a fall play and a spring musical. Please see our blog for details regarding these productions.
Fine Art at WMC
We have a committee of local and alumni artists that jury our student artwork for permanent display in our school as well as to be entered into local galleries such as the Betty Cannon Gallery, the Muskegon Museum of Art and the Grand Haven Artwalk competition. Please see our blog for the latest in our student work and awards.
Christ is the center of everything we do at WMC:
- It’s not just prayer, chapel and bible study. It’s Christ and a Biblical perspective integrated into academics.
- It’s journaling how a character from Macbeth compares to what scripture says about our character.
- It’s seeing the order of creative design in math when studying algebraic equations.
- It’s a cheer coach, who teaches her team to put on the full armor of God in athletics and in life.